Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The Nothingness of Personality-- J L Borges

I am not I. There is nothing in 'me' that is permanent and unique. Who am I-- if I am my visual representation, then darkness would annihilate me. If I am a compilation of all my memories, then the act of forgetting will be tantamount to suicide.

Well this is the point that Borges, that great Argentinian philosopher, poet and writer tries to make in an essay titled 'The Nothingness of Personality'.

There is another essay he wrote on similar lines called 'The Personality and Buddha". He avers that Westerners have misunderstood Buddha in totality if they can't grasp this subtle point - that psychophysical existence of man does not constitute 'self' or the I.

Am I Borges of 9.30 pm or 9.31?

Ultimately he is making an interesting point that I am this moment. This present, this current existence is all you can lay your claim on and no more.

This moment, for example (if I take my case) -- when I am writing this post, thinking about the imminent rain (well the skyline is grey and clouds look intimidating), this thought that shall I leave the post and grab my blue sneakers and go for a walk and Jorge Luis Borges...this is me.

This is I.

I am no longer the person who topped in English but returned crestfallen from school on results day because my science scores were low.

I am not even what I was 3 minutes ago thinking about rain, cloud and walk.
I am now- typing these three words which could be the most revolutionary words uttered since the French Revolution.

Ciao

No comments: