Saturday, July 26, 2008

The Buddha by Karen Armstrong

Let me tell you a funny thing- In India, many children have the first name Rahul and we have all read how Gautam Siddharth named his son Rahul. More than a matter of nomenclature, it was a claustrophobic emotional reality for would-be Buddha because in domestic relations, he only saw fetters which is exactly what Rahul means.

So not a very positive context!

I am reading this book- bought it at an airport shop at 5.30 am....nice time to contemplate about Buddha. I have read other works of the author and find her a balanced and authoritative voice as far as religious history goes.

She begins with a Zen dictat that says: If you find the Buddha, kill him.

And elaborates thus: Buddha never claimed divinity and did not comment on the presence or absence of God but rather chose to emphasise that each person has to find her own hidden Buddha or Realised Soul.

Something I quite like!

I had bookmarked it but the complimentary bookmark fell from the pages and fluttered to the floor. Making me think- what a lame boundary to divide the read from the unread, the known from the great unknown...ha ha.

No comments: